Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I want more.

When I was a teenager, my family went to Mexico to visit our stepdads family.

They live in the border of Jalisco and Zacatecas.

In those days, it was a plot of land with a tiny little ranch.

The house was a kitchen, a bedroom and a outhouse.

They did not have gas or electricity.

In the morning if you wanted to take a shower, you would of had to bring water from the river in order to take one.

If you wanted to have a hot shower, you had start the fire to heat up your water before you took a shower.

If you wanted to eat , you had to kill your dinner.

In essence, life was not as easy as in the United States.....

One evening we watched the younger cousins kill some chickens, take the feathers off and cook them over a grill and me and my brother after eating them had not had our fill.

So we asked our mom for more.

Our mom told us that it was all there was and to not shame her by asking for more.

So we shut up....they took our plates ....and me and my brother ....because our mom always made us help when we were company....went into the kitchen....theyre they were... all my cousins....eating our leftovers....

Me and my brother never asked for seconds again and learned a valuable life lesson that day.

We have learned to not be greedy and to appreciate what we have.

Me and my brother have learned to be humble, we have learned to treat everyone with respect.

I was just thinking about this today .


They live in California now, but they still have the ranch...it is not lacking anything now.


It has been made into a home with electricity and running water,stucco walls, paved road to the house....they all drive new cars and have made a good life for themselves.


Evilchavo Out.

No comments: