Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Whittier Narrow Earthquake| Where were you?| 10/1/1987

I remember the Whittier Narrows Earthquake.


It was on October 1, 1987 that the earthquake hit at 7:42 Am.


I was on my way to school. Late like always.


I was walking down Hazard ave. by the park when the earth starting moving.


I thought I was losing it, the ground was like a huge wave.


I did not know what to do , I kneeled down until it stopped and ran to school.


On my way to school I passed the retirement home on Hazard and Fairmont Street (across the street from the liquor store)


The older people were all standing in their pj's or in there nothing, yelling for help.


I was like a zombie movie and I don't know what scared me more the sight of them or the earthquake.


I should of gone back home but did not want to be alone.


I got to the school (Belvedere Junior High) and they made us all wait in the field.


Teachers said nothing, there were no cell phones around then so we just sat around and looked for our teachers so that they could tell us what was going on....but nothing was said.


Parents started coming to the school looking for their kids .


Teachers started calling out names and the crowd kept getting smaller and smaller.


My mom did not have a car , so I figured she would come pick me up after work (or would come if she was able to get ride)


My girlfriend at the time, got picked up and so did all my other friends.


The crowd that was left started jumping the fence and nearly broke it down cause they all left at once.


I stood there and around 2Pm (My Dad) picked me up, My Dad.


I did not expect him to come , but he told me that my mom called and that they were not letting her out of work.


That night we slept in the school yard behind our house.


We met all the neighbors and everyone tallked about where they were when it happened.
We all shared our food and blankets and made beds out of the school benches.

We became real close with all out neighbors because of that day.


What is really funny to me is how scared we all were, but after that we were all like "What Earthquake? You call that an Earthquake? Like we were all badass and not super scared that day.

No comments: