Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas and Where is the tequila?


I was just thinking about Chritmas and just like every other holiday and every other family we had alot of problems on that day.

My stepdad had a severe drinking problem and everytime a holiday came around he would disappear for a week at a time.

It was really weird because my stepdad was very quiet and did not talk to anyone about his problems he would always hide under a shy persons smile and when he was all happy during the holiday we knew but did not want to admit it to ourselves that he was drinking again.

He would go out for a soda and not come back gor 3 or 4 days and after I learned how to drive we would go find him at some dirty bar in the middle of nowhere or asleep in his car in a parking lot of dirty old bar.

Sad , Sad Sad.

My real dad he was never around and I would always see him a week before Chritmas down the street at the Mercado Hidalgo and tell him about the stuff that I wanted for Christmas and he would always say that he would get it for me and then on the 24th I would walk down to the Mercado Hidalgo to see my dad and he would always be gone....he was always on his way or at Mexico during Christmas (I never figured out why he would always tell me that he would get me things also not sure why I kept going to see him)

Sad. Sad. Sad. Sad.

But you know, there were some benefits from my stepdad being a drunk.

1) Learned how to drive at 12 (ON my way back from Mexico in the middle of nowhere)

2) Had lots and lots of alcohol in the house for ditching parties and get togethers

3) Learned about conflict resolution and last but not least.

4) Learned that I can't trust anyone no matter how genuine and honest they seem.

So now I don't drink....if I do...I never get drunk and disappear....and I always keep my promises....I always do what I say I will do and keep my word.

Merry Christmas and know this: things always change...sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.....but that is the one thing that you can count on CHANGE.

also if you drink Tequila make sure its Don Julio (accept no substitute)

Evilchavo Out.

2 comments:

Mark Eaton said...

Fathers, holidays, booze....a volatile mix.

Sal said...

Thanks for posting.

Stepfather, holidays , and booze are a volatile mix, I agree.

But what is worse is Alcohol + other stuff + everyone in denial about the other stuff + plus all of us having so much respect for him that we did not have the balls to stand up to him and make him stop early on (Not that I think he would of listened)

Like my brother says "We learned how to be the best dad in the world and the worse dad in the world from him also"

Hope you had a Merry Chirstmas and have a Great Year!.

Evilchavo Out.